What you need to know before you book
With regards to your intention of becoming one with Mother Nature at Dandeli, there are a few aspects that you need to be aware of while on your vacation. Please read the following carefully; we request that you to abide by them to favor our common interest.
Doing things the right way while you're at Dandeli will not only enable you to make most of the trip, but it will also keep you and others in your group out of danger.
Try your best to adhere to the following do's and don'ts while at Dandeli:
- The first and simplest rule is to blend in with the natural surroundings; no loud noises, no jarring colors, no bright lights if you are in the night safari, etc.
- You will get to spot more wildlife if your presence is not obvious; it is for this purpose that dull colors like brown, olive green and khakis are worn on safaris.
- Flash and spotlights for photography are prohibited to prevent startling the animals. Hence it is best to avoid gadgets like iPods, brightly colored clothing and strong perfumes while at Dandeli - the last thing you'll want to do is scare the animals away or worse still, provoke them to attack you!
- Do not feed wild animals - not only does this change their habits, but also can cause them to become agitated for want of more food possibly, which can jeopardize the security of the entire group.
- Do remember that they have an abundant supply of natural food in the forest and they do not require junk food.
- Do not litter the forest. While this reflects poorly on your upbringing and basic concepts of hygiene and orderliness, it also airs out a callous attitude towards the protection of the environment.
- Avoid using polythene bags, tetra packs, and other non-biodegradable material or if they have to be used, carry them back with you after use, to be disposed of in a recycle bin. These waste harm animals if they are accidentally eaten and also spoil the beauty of Dandeli.
- Keep your calm and maintain composure when close to animals. Children should be entrusted with able persons who can keep them under control. It is important to maintain a reasonable distance from all animals since approaching too closely will disturb or provoke them.
- Remember that animals by nature are shy and tend to hide when they see something 'foreign' namely a human being; they are unpredictable too - that's why they are 'wild' animals! Please do not attempt to catch their attention or lure them out by throwing stones, making noises or grimaces - there always is a chance that you might get more than you asked for.
- Be careful not to leave any combustible material around carelessly as this can start a forest fire. Smoking is strictly prohibited in the forest to minimize the risk to the wildlife here. Also, ensure that mosquito coils or candles are tightly secured before lighting them.
- Never stray away from the group, especially at riversides. Remember that you are a guest here and the hosts will not always be hospitable!
- The allotted route maps must be strictly followed, and attention should be paid to the instructions given to you by our trained personnel and guides who know Dandeli inside out.
- Keep alcohol and other intoxicants away - this can lead to serious lapses in judgment which can prove fatal in the jungle.
- Do not disturb anything in the forest - avoid collecting any plants or animals. Remember it is your responsibility to leave the forest the same way you found it for the next visitor and generations to come!
- As a responsible individual, report any instance of irresponsible behavior on the part of visitors or even staff/guides to the authorities, this would be a great service!
- Poaching is another evil that can be combated with your support. It's needless to say that your valuable suggestions and recommendations are most welcome, which will be forwarded to the relevant team to look into.
Now that you know what exactly to expect at Dandeli, it's time you checked your travel bag to see if you have everything you might require. Let's look at what the necessary and desirable items that you need to pack while on your Dandeli vacation are.
- Mosquito / Insect Repellent
- Sunscreen, Hat & Sunglasses
- Antiseptic Cream, Medication and First Aid Kit
- Socks and comfortable, sturdy shoes or boots
- Binoculars & Camera
- Water Bottle & Rucksack with essential food supplies
- Warm Clothing (in winters)
- Small Torch
- Personal hygiene requisites
- Rainwear and umbrella
- Hiking pole (recommended)
- Sleeping bag/tent for overnight trips
- Long sleeved cotton shirt for protection from insects and the sun
- Long pants with tie strings or shorts for hiking
- Good clothes (smart casuals for eveningwear)
- Laundry powder - for those who insist on washing regularly!
It's a good idea to wear layers of clothes rather than one thick sweater or windcheater. Even in winters, the trek might warm you up and wearing light clothes in layers will allow you to shed one layer at a time to suit your comfort.
Now you're all set to embark on the vacation of vacations - your trip to Dandeli! Finally, we'd like to run you through the terms and conditions that you are requested to keep in mind as well; remember it is keeping your safety in mind that these rules have been laid down!